Server Room Design Guidelines Specifications and Best Practices. Factors to be considered Cooling AC Environment Control Flooring Lighting Electrical.
Server Room Design
Factors to be considered Cooling AC Environment Control Flooring Lighting Electrical
I .Server Room Construction
- Specify the room height or the minimum clearance between false ceiling and flooring. Rack height + 1 foot is the minimum requirement.
- Specify the size of the room.
- Specify whether false ceiling is required.If required specify the height clearance. Ideally go for fire proof false Ceiling.
- Specify the minimum door openings.Fire proof door.
- It is highly recommended that the door enter from the Hall. This will be easy for material movement and easy accessible for service providers.
- Specify the use of tile or static free flooring. Specify the Height of false flooring.
- Specify the provision of a access control door to restrict access.
- Specify thickness for all walls.
- AC Ducting provision.
- Smoke detector provision.
II. Server Room Environment Control
- HVAC to provide constant temperature and humidity control in degrees C and the Relative Humidity (RH) based on the standards for active or passive components.
- Specify the minimum number of air changes per hour, and spec Positive Pressure to reduce dust.
- Calculate the cooling in cubic meters per hour of 12 C cool air based on the number of 20 A circuits. You may also want to calculate the expected equipment BTU output.
- Intake and exhaust of HVAC at 2.6m above finished floor (AFF)
- Need for a secondary cooling system and/or temperature alarm system. NOTE air conditioning systems will freeze in the winter if it is cold enough.
III. Server Room Fire Suppression Concerns
- wire cage over sprinkler heads
- Dry system or wet system with drainage trough to avoid leaks and condensation damage
- Two coats fire retardant white paint on walls and /or drywall
- Fire proof doors, conduit , false ceiling , flooring.
- Location to be high and dry or racks curbed to prevent flood damage
- Avoid penetration through ceiling on serer room.
- Dont plan any water sources above the server room
V. Server Room Lighting
- Specify the Min Ft candles @ 1 meter AFF as per the bicsi standard
- Specify fixture locations
- Specify minimum lighting height above finished floor
- Specify Emergency lighting
- Dont plan the lights straight above the racks.
- Specify the power requirement of the servers
- Specify the power panel for the room
- Dont provide switches on power sockets.
- Provide different color sockets for raw and UPS power supply.
- Grounding All equipment and cables grounded
- Floor grounding if anti-static selected
- Separate convenience electrical for power tools at set intervals around room
- Data power minimum 2 duplex plugs 3 wire 120vac, additional as per spec and room expectations
- Specify 240 VAC as required
- Separate power for AC unit? or potential AC unit
- Specify the requirement of UPS /Genset
VII. Controlled special purpose space
- Telecommunication rooms are recommended to be dedicated to the function. Unrelated equipment prohibited, this includes ductwork, piping, and building electrical
VIII. Tray system
1. Cable tray